Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wait, Doc. You're going where? WHEN?

Today was the third of our weekly appointments, third internal, and we only have 2 more appointments scheduled! Ahhh!!

So my doctor comes in and asks me how it's going, do I have any questions/concerns, the usual. Then he launches into "the speech". Basically, he and his wife booked a vacation months and months ago for August 6-13. My due date is the 7th.

Of course, when they booked this vacation this past winter, there were two other OBs in the practice. Doctor Cook had her son this past May, and has elected to stay at home with him for a year instead of coming back. Ok....well I certainly can't fault her. She's a great doctor but I would do it too if I could!

So then in June, Dr. Li decides she is taking a fellowship at a very prestigious hospital. Again, ok-I can see her being offered a great position that she just can't turn down. She left a couple of weeks ago. So now we're down to Dr. H...whoa.

Dr. H is awesome. J and I really like him.  He told me that today I'm again a "good" 3 centimeters and at least 90% effaced. I got the whole labor speech and both of his cell phone numbers. They're doubting that I'll even make it to August at this point. BUT, and there's always a but, if we're still at this point and I'm getting close to that second week in August with no more progress, he's given me the option of induction right before he goes away. He does have another doctor from another practice covering for him the week he's gone, but since he's been with J and I the whole time he's looking forward to delivering our son versus someone we haven't met, and J and I feel the same.

Ugh. I've been so against induction before your due date this whole time. I'm not really interested in pitocin and the whole she-bang. On the other hand, he said that he wouldn't bring this up if I wasn't an amazing candidate for induction, and that I wouldn't even need to go in the night before for cervadil or anything. Obviously, he said it is completely up to us and doesn't want to talk us into anything we aren't comfortable doing.

At this point, we have a week and a half before we even need to make a decision. I think right now I'm just going to continue to read up on everything and hope that Baby 'Houla comes on his own, when he's ready. Do I want a stranger delivering, if it comes to that? Am I even going to care?

7 comments:

  1. I would not blame you if you decided to go the induction route however, I've been told by many people that you will not care who is delivering your baby just as long as there's someone down there to catch! In my practice, you aren't assigned a specific doctor, you just rotate through them all and whoever happens to be on call that day is the one who delivers you.

    If you decide against the induction, perhaps you could meet with this other doctor so you would have met him/her prior to giving birth? Just a suggestion!

    Good luck with your decision making!

    -Katie (kd+bc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Baby 'Houla will come on August 5th :) Good luck with whatever you guys decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie! You're right-meeting Dr. A is a good idea just in case.

    And hi Mrs. B-I'm chart/board stalking you, although I know it's early. I think you should add "drink some good wine/beer/alcohol of choice in the 2ww" to your "keep busy" list ;-) You never know when you won't be able to do it for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can.not.believe how close you are! Squeeee! That is tough...I'm not a fan of induction either. I like the idea of meeting the other doc and just seeing what happens. Hopefully there won't even be a decision for you to make and you and Baby 'houla will be chilling at home while the good doctor is on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At 3 cm and 90% effaced I'm guessing it won't be an issue :)

    But for the record, my doctor didn't get to deliver our son. We got stuck with the on-call doc from the practice since I went into labor at 3:00 AM on a weekend, but since he wasn't even really there until the end it didn't matter to me.

    You're getting so close!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that your doc is going to be on vacation! That is crazy! Hopefully baby Houla will come on his own, but if not good luck with the induction!

    That being said, I went into labor naturally (my water broke)and I still ended up needing pitocin for a vaginal delivery because I was not progressing.

    Your baby will be here before you know it!

    (aka DCRider)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy moly, talk about added anxiety! I agree with the other girls, maybe you can meet with the other doc so you'll be more comfortable with him.

    Hopefully baby H decides to make an appearance before your doc leaves town, though! Then you'll have nothing to worry about!

    ReplyDelete