Monday, October 15, 2012
Weaning
I nursed for the last time last Thursday. I decided after that nightly session that it was time. Gabriel wasn't getting much at all- when I was pumping in Savannah to keep my supply up I was getting less than an ounce total each evening. Now that he's getting so big it was turning into more of a wrestling session, with him trying to sit up, tickle me, and whisper to make me laugh (it IS hysterical...), my poor boobs get a little battered in the process. So on Friday I went in with a sippy of milk, and decided that if he really started trying to nurse, I'd give in and reevaluate in a week. Nope, he grabbed the sippy and smiled at me a few times, and that was that. He put it down and drifted off, so I rocked with him for about 5 minutes and sniffled and put him to bed.
Last night was a bit more of a struggle, since he wanted to get down after his sippy so I just hugged him and rocked and he kept leaning over to give me kisses and laugh, but after 3 or 4 minutes of that he conked out. I'll cut down the rocking evenutally. Baby steps, right? :-)
I'm pretty sad about it. I guess it doesn't make sense to someone if they haven't been through it, or at least not to my husband or friend that I talked to about it. They were both pretty much like "Hooray! You're finally free!" and I was all "*Sniff sniff. I guess.". It's just another step towards G becoming a big boy, but it's more than that. It's something that we shared for so long, every day of his life. It's a connection we had, and I'm just sad. It's neccessary and I know the emotion will fade, but right now, I'm just letting one more piece of that little baby go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hugs, mama! Your feelings are so normal. I look forward having my body to myself but I do think I will miss the connection we have with nursing. What a great job you have done -14 months, your have given Gabriel a great start :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jen! Like you said, it's very mixed emotions. I was kind of excited to have TWO glasses of wine with dinner the other night and not think "Wait, how long until I nurse? I need to keep it to one glass.". Haha!
DeleteWe haven't weaned yet so I don't know exactly how you're feeling just yet, but I think that our time is coming pretty soon & it makes me sad just thinking about it. I still pump 1x daily at work & I barely get 2-3 oz most days, so I do understand the supply part.
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed that you are still pumping at work! I gave it up a few months back and I was ready to go all Office Space-style on my pump and smash it. I hated that thing.
DeleteIt's hard dealing with the emotions of weaning, but you are doing a great job and you've made it so far!
Aww Mama. You did great! I know the sadness you are feeling but I just think about how great it was the time we did have.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lauren, you are totally right. We can totally cherish all the memories and long days and nights of being cuddled up with our little ones :-)
Delete