I've been meaning to make a few different posts lately, but I just haven't had time. So post #1 is about boobs.
I was thinking while I was sitting in the pumping room at work. How much time per day do nursing mothers deal with and think about their breasts? I mean, there's nursing. That's 30 minutes about 6 times a day.
Then I pump every 4 hours at work-roughly 45 minutes to an hour a day.
Cleaning pump parts-about 20 minutes a day.
Extra laundry to wash bras, nursing pads...not that they take up a whole load, but they need to be washed frequently.
Drinking Mother's Milk tea. Ew. Tastes like licorice.
Reminding my H that they HURT, even though they look nice-10 minutes a day. haha!
Watching the clock constantly when we're out with Gabriel to be able to stop and feed him somewhere or be home before he needs to eat.
Deciding on your wardrobe every day based on how easy it is to nurse or pump with that top.
I'm not going to remember everything or add the time up, but man, my boobs dominate my day. Even at work. Trying to schedule tasks around when they'll be ready to go, and coordinating that with the two other women that use the room. Sheesh.
There's no real point to this one, other than to be able to both remind and embarrass my son in 14 years when he's being ornery and I get to throw around "I nursed you and pumped all that milk for you-be grateful!". Hahahaha. I don't *think* I will do that to him.
Ahhh yes, the boobs do tend to take over your life ;) But high five to you for putting in all the effort! It is well worth it!
ReplyDeleteI'm only a few months ahead of you, but I can tell you it does get much easier. Your kid will become a pro at eating soon and nursing sessions will get much quicker. Have you tried the Ameda bags with the little adapter? Makes for easier cleaning and storage http://www.amazon.com/Ameda-Count-Breast-Storage-Adapter/dp/B003TJAGBM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321473782&sr=8-3
I also bought extra pump parts so I don't have to wash them EVERY single day.
Oh yea, and I dump a ton of sugar in that mother's milk tea - that crap is gross!
I agree with so much of this - that tea is nasty (but I still drink it), finding different things to wear for work everyday that has easy access is a pain, and scheduling things around feeding times can get tricky. All that being said, I wouldn't pass up getting to nurse my little munchkin for anything!
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for keeping up with it!
Lol. Love this post. BTW, does the tea actually work? I've been contemplating adding trying it to make sure I don't have a STTN decrease in supply.
ReplyDeleteThanks you all! Mama foosa-I have NOT tried those but I am very possibly going to in the near future!
ReplyDeleteI agree kjw-I totally forgot to mention that regardless, I love my nursing time with him and I don't want it to end!
Laura- I have only been doing 2 cups a day at once and I have been getting on average about 2-3 more oz at work (total). So I assume if I add another cup or two to my day it would get better and better. I think it's worth it. I really dislike his formula breath and poops when we do have to supplement!! Haha. But his baby breath, as dumb as it sounds, is so sweet otherwise.