Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What a week!

I don't know how to format this post, so it will probably look like a weird jumbled list. What's going on in the week after having a baby. I can't imagine how much I'm going to learn over the next few months!!

1. I've heard it multiple times, but take everything you can scrounge from the hospital. I almost cried when we were discharged and they told me I couldn't have any more ice packs. Ahh!! Seriously, the Dermaplast spray has been my BFF. J went to CVS after we got home and bought 3 bottles of it! I can't imagine life without it.
2. The sleep deprivation. People can tell you all about it, but you absolutely can't understand until you are standing in your bedroom and you can't figure out if you are still in your dream or if the baby crying in the bassinet is real life. Haha!
3. The emotions!! I consider myself a pretty balanced person. I don't freak out or cry for no reason...even during pregnancy. Heck, the L&D nurses were even joking with me about how nice I was to them and J! Anyway, I can cry/get mad at the drop of a hat now. I'm not sad or anything, but even a diaper commercial can make me burst into tears! It's ridiculous!! I guess that's the whole 'baby blues' thing? During my rational time, I feel fine. Normal, almost. But don't play a sad song around me or God forbid, an episode of A Baby Story.
4. Irrational fears. I've come up with the most ridiculous things to worry about! I KNOW I'm not going to be walking down the hallway and just drop Gabriel. But OMG those lovely ceramic tile floors scare the crap out of me! And seriously, I had him outside yesterday and started worrying that dust would get into his eyes, since it's been so dry, and I wouldn't be able to get it out. Sad, but true! I'm so weird. 
5. How you can read every baby book that you can get your hands on and you just won't get it until he's here. In theory, I know the 5 S's, how to wake him, change him, sponge-bathe him, all that stuff. But a lot of it seems to kind of go out the window as you actually deal with new situations that come up.
6. Breastfeeding. I went into it, on the advice of one of my books of course, expecting it to be difficult. I have phone numbers for support people, books at the ready, everything. But this child is a breastfeeding champion. I never dreamed it would come naturally to either of us, and really, I don't think I can take much credit. It's a little taxing to be a walking buffet, ready on demand, but it's so freaking cool. I can figure out this mom thing!

I'm positive there's more. Like feeling a real sense of accomplishment just getting a load of laundry in the washing machine. Or managing to eat a decent meal before he starts crying, and being proud of myself. But I'll end with a pic of my precious boy from yesterday. We were singing along to my iPod-I figured he's heard the songs when I would sing them while pregnant, so it would be soothing to hear. He seemed to enjoy it, which was nice, since I can't say that about most people when they hear me sing ;-)








6 comments:

  1. He is so adorable, and congrats again! I like your jumbled list, and I picture myself making the same sort of jumbled list in about a month! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So So happy for ya'll! He is precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so adorable! And I'm so glad you're writing down how you're feeling right now, you'll love it to look back on in a few months when things are totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your new mommy thoughts - so glad he is doing well with breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had so many of the sames thoughts/feelings after Andrew was born. The irrational fears of dropping the baby, crying at the drop of a hat, being so tired I didn't know where I was. I remember it all!

    I'm so glad you're enjoying your new mommy role and congrats again on your adorable little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I can't wait to see all the babies getting ready to be born from you all :-), Roxanne, I've been meaning to post on your blog, i love all the new pics of her! Kjw, I'm glad I'm not alone, it's all so new. It IS so fun though!

    ReplyDelete